Alaska News
CHANGE STATE

Friday, February 16, 2018

Anchorage Fire Department extinguishes Bragaw Street apartment fire


The Anchorage Fire Department extinguished a structure fire at 341 N. Bragaw Street Thursday afternoon. According to Jodie Hettrick, deputy chief of operations with AFD, a passerby reported the apartment fire at 1:02 p.m. Hettrick reports that when crews arrived on scene, "smoke was showing" out of the 4-plex; however, the structure was still secure to enter. Firefighters were able to get the small fire under control and extinguish it. Hettrick says firefighters are still checking the area for smoldering embers. The preliminary report indicates that nobody was home when the fire ignited. Furthermore, Hettrick reports zero injuries. Additionally, Hettrick says there is no indication of foul play. While AFD is on scene, they ask that the public avoid this area. Additionally, North Bragaw Street has been shut down at Peterkin Street until further notice.
KTUU-TV NBC 2 Anchorage


Thursday, February 15, 2018

Juneau neighbors band together to stop dryer fire


Dawn Houston was watching a movie about wildfires, “Only the Brave,” around noon Wednesday when a fire broke out in her home. Houston, 52, heard her dryer making strange noises as it dried a few towels. When she walked into the laundry room, she found it full of smoke. Houston grabbed her fire extinguisher, yelling to her daughter and her daughter’s boyfriend for help. She entered the smoke-filled room and aimed her extinguisher at the dryer, but the extinguisher didn’t work. She thought quickly, calling 911 and running outside to ask for help from her neighbors as her daughter and daughter’s boyfriend began to fill buckets of water in the house.
Juneauempire.com







FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe