An effort by the Tubac Fire District to save money while building safer, nicer living facilities at one of its stations has run afoul of county regulation after the rooms were built without a permit or proper safety measures. With firefighters providing the labor, the district recently converted part of the garage space at Station 1 on the frontage road in Tubac into two bedrooms accessed through an interior common space at a cost of about $7,100. However, the district needed to apply for a permit to build the two rooms, said Daniel Menefee, the county’s chief building official. What’s more, he said, he determined during a Dec. 8 visit to the station that the rooms lacked smoke alarms and a fire escape route to an outdoor area. Smoke alarms have since been installed.