A gas leak forced evacuations near the Arizona Center in downtown Phoenix on Monday morning.
A Southwest Gas official said the Phoenix Fire Department alerted the utility company to a possible leak on Third Street between Van Buren and Roosevelt streets at about 11:40 a.m.
Fire crews worked to evacuate the area as Southwest Gas employees identified and stopped the leak. Amy Washburn, of Southwest Gas, said workers were able to shut off gas to the area within 10 minutes of notification.
Mireya Lesso, an Arizona State University student, was cutting through the Arizona Center to get to her dorm when she was told to leave.