A hazmat incident at Yale University has been brought under control.
The New Haven Fire Chief tweeted the incident involving chemicals was under control shortly after 5 p. m.
The chemical accident occurred at the Yale University Chemical Research Building, located on 275 Prospect St. Officials said a 27-year-old student was working in one of the labs and handling different chemical mixtures, including a nitric acid mixture..
The student picked up a bottle he thought was empty, however it was not, according to officials. This bottle had traces of a lab substance containing a volatile chemical mixture – the bottle itself was also overpressured. Due to the pressure build-up, the bottle broke and splattered all over the student.