Georgia News
CHANGE STATE

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Decatur County mourning the loss of young firefighter


Decatur County Fire & Rescue is mourning the loss of one of their own after firefighter Adam Taylor, 30, died unexpectedly last week. Fire rescue officials say Taylor was in a 24 hour shift at work on March 30 when he reported not feeling well and made arrangements to go home. Taylor died suddenly about 35 minutes later. A preliminary report indicates Taylor had a heart attack, however, no official details are available until the report from the coroner’s office is released. Taylor had been a firefighter with Decatur County Fire & Rescue since 2012. Taylor had previously served with the Sylvester Fire Department, where he got his start in 2007. Taylor leaves behind a wife and twins. Decatur County Fire & Rescue shared the following tribute to Taylor with WCTV: "Thank you all once again for the outpouring of love and support this past weekend.
WCTV

City of Savannah looks to help residents with Fire Fee discount application


The City of Savannah will be helping residents with the Fire Fee Discount Program and application process. Robert Milie is the president of the Savannah Professional Firefighters Association. “They can save about 20 percent,” said Milie. That equates to more than $50 towards the tax, scheduled to kick in come September. “We had no part in the implementation process of the Fire Fee, but what we do want to do is ensure everybody in the community has the ability to take advantage of the Fire Fee Discount Program,” he said. Milie said it’s easy to save money just by taking these simple steps: “Have the maximum amount of smoke detectors per residence and that’s up to three.
Fox 28 Media

Downed tree leads to fire at Atlanta Civic Center


Firefighters are investigating a blaze at the Atlanta Civic Center that started early Tuesday after a tree fell on a power line near the facility, the spokesman for Atlanta Fire Rescue said The incident caused a surge in the aging performing arts hall on Piedmont Avenue, Sgt. Cortez Stafford told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. A trash can caught fire. Firefighters told Channel 2’s Sophia Choi they initially, thought they were dealing with a trash compactor fire. They said then, they heard three big bangs and noticed they were standing in a foot of water. That is when they said it became a dangerous situation. Firefighters had to back out and wait on Georgia Power to cut the electricity, which took nearly two hours.
WSB-TV ABC 2 Atlanta

Cherokee County Fire Explorers Present Colors At Braves Game


Members of Cherokee County Fire Explorers Post 469 presented the colors prior to the Atlanta Braves game on Saturday, April 21 at SunTrust Park. The Braves, of course, defeated the New York Mets with a final score of 4-3. Sgt. Michael Sims, an advisor for the local explorers group, said the explorers joined Boy Scout Troop 304 in leading a parade around the field before the game. After the parade, the Cherokee County fire explorers "had the honor of presenting our nation's colors on the field in front of the players and thousands of fans," he said. Cadet Fire Lieutenant Denver Ice carried the American flag and was accompanied by Cadet Captain Dalton Hamby, Cadet Firefighter Fabian Frazzari, Cadet Firefighter Griffin Hansen and Cadet Firefighter Jared
Canton-Sixes Patch

Mother and 8 children displaced after Savannah apartment fire


A mother and her eight children are displaced after their apartment caught fire Monday afternoon, according to a release. Savannah Fire was dispatched to Kayton Homes Apartment 602 B, located at 621 Cape Street at 1:12 p.m., the release states. Firefighters say they saw smoke coming from the unit, but were able to quickly douse the fire. Although the blaze was primarily confined to the attic, it caused extensive damage to the roof. That apartment, as well as the two adjoining, vacant apartments, sustained severe water and smoke damage. The release states that the mother and her children, ages two to 14, were not at home, but were displaced due to damage from the fire.
Fox 28 Media


Monday, April 23, 2018

Smyrna 911 operator being called hero


A 911 dispatcher in Smyrna is being called a hero after she saved the life of an elderly woman. Takerra Brown answered a call where she could faintly hear someone on the line requesting "help" but she couldn't tell where the caller was. She used all the resources she had available to figure out where the call was coming from and then dispatched firefighters. They found an elderly woman who had fallen several days before and was in desperate need of help. Firefighters said if they hadn't found the woman, she would have likely died within hours.
Fox 26 Houston

Wheelchair-Bound Woman Escapes Cherokee County House Fire


A 77-year-old woman confined to a wheelchair was able to escape a house fire that was reported early Friday evening in Cherokee County. Firefighters with Cherokee County Fire & Emergency Service were dispatched to the fire around 5:15 p.m. April 20 at the house in the 300 block of Henry Scott Road, which is located off East Cherokee Drive in Ball Ground. The resident said she discovered the fire in a room that previously served as a porch. She called her daughter-in-law, who lived next door, to report the fire. The daughter-in-law made her way to the house and was able to get her mother-in-law out of the burning home.
Canton-Sixes Patch

Firefighters looks for predecessors to honor at new Rome-Floyd County Firefighters Memorial Plaza


The search is on for family members of retired or deceased Rome firefighters to participate in the Rome-Floyd County Firefighters Memorial Plaza. Retired Battalion Chief Phil Langston and retired Captain David Kay are spearheading the final push toward completion of the memorial plaza at West Sixth Avenue and West First Street and they are interested in contacting the families of as many former firefighters as possible in an effort to pay tribute to their service to the community. The Rome-Floyd County Fire Department has never lost a firefighter in the line of duty and the new memorial plaza is simply a way of honoring the hundreds and thousands of men and women through the years who have put their life on the line every time an alarm sounds.
Rome News-Tribune

Follow-up: New technology makes way to Douglas Fire Department


Thanks to a new grant, the Douglas Fire Department is getting some major technology upgrades. Earlier this month, the department received a $3,500 dollar fire prevention grant to upgrade their pre-planning procedures. With the funds, the fire station purchased five new iPads that cost around $700 dollars a piece. According to Fire Chief Larry Wilson, before the iPads, firefighters had to hand write everything out in a thick binder. Wilson says the new technology is a huge help. "You don't want to just go into a business or residence not knowing what's on the scene so these iPads will help us know exactly what were getting into," said Wilson.
WFXL-TV Fox 31 My SouthWestGA.com

South Forsyth warehouse burns in fire


Authorities responded to the scene of a fully involved warehouse fire in south Forsyth that errupted late Friday afternoon. According to Division Chief Jason Shivers of the Forsyth County Fire Department, firefighters responded to a warehouse on Peachtree Parkway near Bagley Road at around 5 p.m. Friday and found the building heavily engulfed in flames. One person was found at the scene with very serious burn injuries and was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital by a LifeFlight helicopter. Shivers said that the building sustained heavy damage in the blaze, and the fire was likely fed by burning vehicles within the warehouse. Fire investigators hadn’t determined a cause as of Friday evening.
Forsyth County News

Roads reopens after large Atlanta fire


Crews are working to put out a fire at Ponce de Leon Avenue at Highland Avenue. The fire shut down Ponce de Leon Avenue in both directions as crews worked to knock it down. Firefighters say it appears no one was inside the two-story building. Firefighters shared video of the flames and smoke they saw when they arrived at the building in Midtown. "Smoke was just coming all out of the roof of the house," said Sgt. Cortez Stafford with the Atlanta Fire Department.
WSB-TV ABC 2 Atlanta







FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe