Georgia News
CHANGE STATE

Friday, December 8, 2017

Augusta Fire/EMA welcomes new Public Fire and Life Safety Educator


Michael Meyers is the new Public Fire and Life Safety Educator and Public Information Officer. His position charges him to increase Augusta Fire/EMA’s outreach in the community to provide educational and public safety-related programs. He will coordinate education events for the department and represent the department at community events. As the Public Information Officer, Meyers will be the media contact on all Fire/EMA related questions and will coordinate interview requests.
WFXG-FOX 54 Augusta

Carroll County approves motion to provide cancer insurance coverage for firefighters


The Board of Commissioners also approved a motion to provide cancer insurance coverage for county firefighters as required by House Bill 146. Fire Chief Scott Blue explained the coverage and recommended going with the Association County Commissioners of Georgia. “The legislation passed this last year and we’re required to have this by Jan. 1,” Blue said. There are two components to the bill. One is for a payout in the event of determination of cancer for a firefighter and the other is a long-term disability.
Griffin Daily News

Augusta first responders prepare for active shooter scenarios, beefing up with new ballistic gear


Firefighters are trained for medical emergencies, car crashes and fighting fires, but now first responders are training to meet a new threat –active shooters. "For me, it's vital that the first responders have the proper equipment. It's important that we take care of them so they can take care of us," said Fire Chief and EMA Director, Christopher James. Active shooter incidents...it's happening nationally....and now the Augusta fire department is using a new grant to better equip its crews with ballistic gear.
WRDW-TV News 12 Augusta

Valdosta Fire Department helps coworker in need


The Valdosta Fire Department and Sam’s Barbecue is hosting a barbecue fundraiser to help out a fellow firefighter in need. Valdosta Fire Department Facebook Post: Valdosta Fire Department Firefighter Devasio Johnson’s apartment caught fire and suffered damage earlier November 29th, 2017. Firefighter Johnson explained that he was doing fine and that his hand was healing well according to his doctor. A fundraiser has been hosted through Sam’s Barbecue.
valdosta today


Thursday, December 7, 2017

Two dead after a house fire in Waynesboro


Two people are dead after an early morning house fire in Waynesboro. It broke out shortly after midnight and happened on the 300 block of Dogwood Drive. When firefighters arrived on the scene, they found a house engulfed in flames and smoke. The victims were taken to the Burke County medical center where they were pronounced dead. The names of the victims have not been released. No word yet on what sparked this deadly fire. The State Fire Marshall’s Office will be in Waynesboro today to help with the investigation.
WJBF-TV ABC 6 Augusta

Victim of fatal Albany house fire identified


Albany fire crews responded to the scene of a fatal fire Wednesday evening. It happened in the 100 block of Wells Avenue. According to Albany firefighters, the body of Shelley James Keaton, 67, was found inside the living room of the residence. The Dougherty County coroner said Keaton's cause of death was smoke and soot inhalation. Firefighters said the fire started around 8:30 p.m. and started as an unattended cooking fire.
WTVM-TV News 9 Columbus

Valdosta Mayor, firefighters bring Christmas gifts to Parkwood Developmental Center


It's the gift that keeps giving. "It doesn't matter what you give them. They appreciate it so much and they get excited over anything," says Valdosta Mayor John Gayle. On Wednesday, the Mayor's annual motorcade brought Christmas early to residents at Parkwood Developmental Center. "So many of them would not have any Christmas at all, so it's really important that we take that responsibility as a community," says Mayor Gayle. The motorcade brought enough gifts for over a hundred residents, and even left a few under the tree for Christmas Day.
wctv

‘Religious shrine’ starts Gwinnett house fire; grandmother rescued


Four people were injured after a candle sparked a house fire in Lawrenceville on Tuesday night, Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services said. Fire crews arrived to the Stanford Circle home shortly before midnight, Capt. Tommy Rutledge said. Three people were able to escape the home, but a grandmother was trapped inside. Her husband had jumped from a second-story window and gotten a ladder to get his granddaughter and infant great-granddaughter out through a bathroom window, but he was unable to get his wife through the window, Rutledge said.
Atlanta Journal-Constitution







FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe