In 1901, Dalton firefighters rode horse-drawn trucks to fires. They probably never imagined climbing ladders more than 100 feet tall to battle a blaze, and they'd probably marvel at the high-pressure hoses and other equipment their modern counterparts have.
But they'd share a common bond of professionalism and courage, and they'd probably be honored to know that a piece of their history has recently come home to Fire Station 1 on School Street, which contains the department's administrative offices.
At the station there now hangs an original ladder from a horse-drawn hook-and-ladder fire truck the department bought in 1901, along with a copy of the contract to purchase the truck from Seagrave Co. of Columbus, Ohio, and a photo of the truck. The department also has the original contract for the truck kept safely in the chief's office.