Hawaii News
CHANGE STATE

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

After devastating blaze, Honolulu firefighters urge residents to check their power strips


The new year is off to a busy start for Honolulu firefighters. They’ve battled eight major building fires in just the first two weeks of 2019. And investigators concluded that a house fire last Wednesday in Foster Village was sparked by electrical arcing in a power strip. Five adults and three children managed to escape, but three puppies did not survive. Many people rely on power strips when then aren’t enough outlets for all of their devices. “They really are a big help, but like anything, there are some things that can go wrong,” said Capt. Scot Seguirant of the Honolulu Fire Department. One common mistake is plugging a power strip into another one, or an extension cord. Another problem is overloading a power strip. Experts say items like toasters and microwaves that are designed to change temperatures should be plugged directly into a wall outlet.
KFVE-TV 5 The Home Team


Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Crews respond to Kihei brush fire


Maui firefighters were called to the area of the South Maui Community Park on Liloa Drive for reports of a brush fire. It happened around 3:45 p.m. Sunday. On scene, crews found a fire approximately three-fourths of an acre involving light dry brush. Crews were able to quickly contain and extinguish this fire. There are no injuries or damages to report. A juvenile was arrested by police at the scene on suspicion of arson and later released to the custody of parents.
KHON-TV FOX 2

Update: Unattended candle causes Nuuanu house fire


Honolulu Fire Department investigators determined that a Nuuanu house fire Sunday morning was accidentally caused by an unattended candle. An off-duty firefighter helped a man and his mother escape from the house, and no one was injured. Investigators also determined that the fire caused an estimated $611,000 in damage to the structure and $100,000 to its contents. HFD responded at 7:38 a.m. Sunday with 10 units and 43 personnel to 2460 Huene St. The two-story single-family home was fully involved upon their arrival. The fire was brought under control at 8:25 a.m. and was extinguished at 9:49 a.m. The fire department encourages the public to use flashlights and battery-operated lighting rather than candles. If candles are used, they should be extinguished before leaving a room or before going to sleep, HFD says.
Honolulu Star-Advertiser







FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe