A dryer fire at the Mental Health Kokua Facility in Wailuku caused an estimated $12,000 in damage on Saturday morning, Jan. 6, 2018. The incident was reported at around 11:20 a.m. at the facility located at 133 North Market Street.
Fire crews from the Wailuku Station arrived on scene at 11:27 a.m. to find the fire within a washroom on the first floor of the two-story building.
Fire officials classified the fire as accidental and say it originated within the dryer portion of a stand-up washer/dryer appliance.
Seven individuals were evacuated safely and the facility was able to continue operations after the fire was extinguished.