Follow Up: Heat lamp fire destroys home in Independence

  • Source: KCRG-TV ABC 9 Cedar Rapids
  • Published: 01/11/2018 03:36 PM

VIDEO: Investigators believe a heat lamp for a chicken coop overheated and started a fire in rural Buchanan County. The fire happened early Wednesday morning at 1790 Otterville Boulevard, that's just outside of Independence. One of the homeowners was asleep when the fire started. Paula Fleming woke up when the smoke detector went off, and was able to get out safely. Fleming ran her business out of the home, as a hair stylist. So she's also going to have to find a new place to work soon. "I'm sure I can work at any salon in town so I'll do that, my husband has another business in Rowley so we'll be able to store things there," she said.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe