Illinois News
CHANGE STATE

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

New program advances Springfield firefighters’ medical training


Laying on the floor of his home Tuesday afternoon, 6-year-old Junior was unresponsive after suffering a heart attack. A crew from Springfield’s Fire Station No. 6 rushed in, took their positions and started chest compressions. A tube was put in his airway. A defibrillator sent a shock to his heart. Because Junior’s vessels were limp from a lack of blood, a firefighter drilled a hole into Junior’s knee and injected cardiac medication into his bone marrow. The firefighters were using what was called the “pit crew method,” in which CPR was continuous and every firefighter knew what his job was.
Springfield State Journal-Register

DeKalb Fire Department rated in top 4 percent of agencies nationwide


The Insurance Services Office, which evaluates public fire protection services, has awarded the DeKalb Fire Department a Class 2 rating, placing it in the top 4 percent of departments nationwide. ISO uses a 105.5-point system to evaluate a community’s fire department, water system and emergency communications systems. Ratings go from one to 10, with one being the most exemplary service. DeKalb Fire Chief Eric Hicks said in a news release that the lowered rating has taken several years to achieve. “Our investment in fire mitigation, which is a proven and reliable predictor of future fire losses, helped improve our rating,” Hick said in the release. “Cooperation and commitment of all city departments were essential to this achievement and we will all work hard to maintain the Class 2 rating in the future.”
DeKalb Daily Chronicle

Streator considers part-time firefighters


There were few seats remaining at Streator City Hall as the council looked at ways to reduce its pension obligations and manage long-term employee costs. The city council examined a number of potential solutions including taking code enforcement responsibilities out of the fire department, which would be handled by Safebuilt, a national company introduced to Streator last June. This would eliminate the existing minimum manning requirement, reduce overtime costs and allow the hiring of part-time firefighters.
MyWebTimes-The Times

Wilmington multi-family home deemed uninhabitable after residential fire


The Channahon fire chaplain continued to work with multiple Wilmington families Tuesday afternoon after a fire left them homeless. Channahon firefighters responded just before 2:20 p.m. Monday to the 27000 block of South Kelly Road in Wilmington for a reported structure fire, according to a news release from the Channahon Fire Protection District. Crews initially were informed that a home with an attached garage was on fire and raised the fire’s alarm as more information became available. When first responders arrived, they found that fire was showing from the garage of a two-story multifamily residence. All the building’s residents had evacuated before the firefighters’ arrival.
MySuburbanLife.com

Fire near Marengo destroys barn, kills chickens


George and Susan Standish's dog doesn't bark unless it's necessary. On Tuesday morning, with the Standishes' Marengo barn ablaze and the nearby sky glowing red, the dog woke the Marengo couple at 5:30 a.m. to a demolished barn. "She’s a good dog – she only barks when she has to," Susan said. "I woke up and looked out the bedroom window, and I thought, 'I’m dreaming.' " Someone was pounding on the door. A passerby had called 911. Marengo firefighters responded about 5:45 a.m. to the Standishes' farm on Dunham Road and Route 176 in Seneca Township for a reported structure fire, Marengo Fire Chief Robert Bradbury said.
Northwest Herald

Christmas light show to benefit Peoria firefighter battling cancer


It's a holiday spectacle, a Dunlap family is taking Christmas lights to the next level. But the reason behind the light show is all to make sure another family's Christmas is merry and bright. Mike Gawelek worked for months to make sure every last detail was perfect. "I've been working on it for about 3 months now, um pretty much every night after the kids go to bed I'm down in my little workshop." Gawelek says. Which is why it might surprise you that this isn't Gawelek's day job. "It's a brotherhood." Gawelek says. Gawelek is a Peoria firefighter. His masterpiece "The Gawelek Christmas Light Show" is all to help the another family. "We're still doing good and fighting the fight and appreciate each day." Nick Riordan says. Riordan, a fellow firefighter, is battling cancer.
centralillinoisproud.com


Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Woman killed in Batestown mobile home fire identified


Investigators have released the name of a woman killed in a Batestown fire. Vermilion County Coroner Jane McFadden says Wanda White, 70, died when flames started at about 5:30 a.m. Monday on Bates Drive. The News-Gazette reports firefighters came to the scene to find a mobile home engulfed by fire. Batestown is located just west of Danville. Crews from Kickapoo, Oakwood, Catlin, Sidell, Westville, Bismark and Georgetown assisted with the fire. The Illinois State Fire Marshal's office was also on scene.
WAND-TV NBC Channel 17

Elgin home severely damaged in fire


Firefighters from multiple departments responded to a blaze Monday night at home of the 100 block of Rolling Knolls Avenue in Elgin. Initial reports indicated the fire started in an attached garage, which did not contain a vehicle. The damage to the home, which is for sale, was extensive. Firefighters remained on the scene late Monday night, and no other details were available.
Illinois Daily Herald

Follow Up: Death of Grayslake teen shot in head, rescued from fire, ruled homicide


The August death of a 17-year-old boy who was shot in the head before being pulled from a house fire in north suburban Grayslake has been ruled a homicide. Firefighters responded at 12:34 a.m. Aug. 22 to the fire in the 300-block of Normandy Lane, according to Grayslake police. Officers rescued 17-year-old Zackary Bollam from the blaze, but discovered he had been shot in the head, police said. Bollam was taken to Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood, where he died at 3:02 p.m. Aug. 26, according to police and the Cook County medical examiner's office.
WLS-TV ABC 7 Chicago

Furnace fire extinguished in Spring Valley home


Multiple fire departments responded to a single-story structure fire in the 500 block of West Cleveland Street, Spring Valley around 4:30 p.m. Monday. A furnace fire in the basement was the source of the fire, Spring Valley fire chief Todd Bogatitus said. Bogatitus said smoke filled the home but the fire was extinguished quickly. No one in the home was injured. A maintenance worker had been making repairs to the furnace before the fire occurred, Bogatitus said. Ladd and Peru fire departments assisted Spring Valley Fire Department along with 10/33 Ambulance and Spring Valley police. The departments cleared the scene around 5:15 p.m.
News Tribune (North Central Illinois)

Pekin Shop With a Hero Event helps local kids with Christmas shopping


In the spirit of Christmas, police officers, firefighters and more came together this past weekend to give a special shopping experience to children in need who are looking to give back to others. Saturday afternoon, about 60 local children had an opportunity to shop with a Pekin police officer, firefighter or Advanced Medical Transport medic for the annual Shop with a Hero event organized by the Pekin Police Department. The Pekin Police Department raises money each year for the program. Donations from the Pekin Police Officers’ Union, the Pekin Fire Department union, the Advanced Medical Transport union, local businesses and individuals make the event possible. This year’s event was held at Big R department store in Pekin.
Washington Times-Reporter

Mendon shed fire under investigation


Several fire protection agencies responded to a shed fire in Mendon, IL late Sunday night. Fire Chief Terry Fuller with the Ursa Fire Protection District says crews arrived at 2184 E 1200th around 11:30 p.m. Fuller tells KHQA the structure was fully engulfed in flames and it took volunteers roughly four hours to extinguish the fire. Central Adams Fire Department, Loraine Fire Protection District and Ursa Fire Protection District were called in to assist the Mendon Fire Department.
KHQA-TV Connect Tri States







FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe