Illinois News
CHANGE STATE

Monday, April 23, 2018

Three people, including two firefighters, were injured in a Hazel Crest fire


Three people, including two firefighters, were injured in a house fire Sunday morning in south suburban Hazel Crest. Fire crews responded about 9:15 a.m. to the blaze in the 17700 block of Stonebridge Drive, according to Hazel Crest Deputy Fire Chief Samuel Hunter. A mayday call was sent out when two injured firefighters made it out of the home and collapsed, Hunter said. A resident also had to be pulled from the burning home after suffering smoke inhalation. They were all taken to South Suburban Hospital in Hazel Crest for treatment, Hunter said. Their conditions weren't immediately known. The fire appears to have started in the home's basement, Hunter said.
WLS-TV ABC 7 Chicago

7th Annual Car Show Honors Buncombe Fire Chief


Firefighters in Buncombe held a fundraiser to support fire chief; Sue Davis. Fire Chief- Sue Davis of Buncombe died back in February after a battle with cancer. Saturday her department honored her by hosting the 7th Annual Charity Car show and donating the proceeds to the Davis family. Davis's sons say; she was very much involved with the car show before her passing. Tommy Davis, "My mom Sue Davis, she loved this car show, she was the one who performed the car show." "Her favorite car on the lot is a red Mustang," David adds. The owner of this red mustang, Leigh Elsey says, her husband built and designed the car in her father's memory. He was a fire chief in Kentucky. After hearing of Sue's passing, she knew she had to bring the Mustang back to Buncombe.
WSIL-TV ABC 3

2 buildings catch fire in Chicago’s Back of the Yards neighborhood


At least two people were injured when two buildings caught fire Saturday evening in the Back of the Yards neighborhood on the South Side. Firefighters responded about 8:45 p.m. to a still and box alarm with reports of people trapped inside the buildings in the 5000 block of South Ada, according to Chicago Fire Department Media Affairs. The fire was put out about 9:20 p.m. It was believed that everyone escaped the buildings, but searches were ongoing, officials said. One person was taken about 9:15 p.m. to Stroger Hospital where their condition was stabilized. Another person was taken about 9:20 to Stroger Hospital to be treated for injuries, officials said. One of the buildings only sustained damage to the exterior.
Chicago Sun-Times

Fire destroys house and garage in south Chillicothe


A house fire in the 14200 block of North Edgewater Drive burned Sunday afternoon after a car backfired in an attached garage, according to the Chillicothe fire chief. The fire was called in at 2:50 p.m., and when firefighters arrived about five minutes later, the house at 14219 N. Edgewater Drive was engulfed in flames, Chillicothe Fire Chief Jim Benisch said. All four occupants were out of the house when they arrived. A girl who lives in the neighborhood described the heavy smoke that poured out of the house as “darker than black, if that’s even possible.” The smoke was visible from Peoria Heights at 3 p.m. Two people were transported to a local hospital with injuries that are not considered life-threatening, Benisch said. The house where the fire started was burned down and Benisch said it was a total loss. One unattached garage north of that house had heat damage and a large garage on the South side was also a total loss, he said.
Chillicothe Times-Bulletin

Chicago firefighters battle blaze in Ukrainian Village


Emergency crews responded to a residential building in the 2200-block of West Rice Street. Fire officials said it started on the building's back porches and then spread inside through a small attic. Officials have not commented on the circumstances of the fire, nor have they said whether any injuries have been reported.
WLS-TV ABC 7 Chicago


Friday, April 20, 2018

Champaign firefighter spends 52 years on the force


The inside of a firehouse is a second home to him. Eddie Cook started with Eastern Prairie Fire Protection District as a teen. He's now spent over 50 years on the job. He doesn't plan to hang up his gear any time soon. Hopping into a fire truck is second nature for Eddie Cook. "I've always looked ahead watching what's going on down the road." "I've always been a firefighter." He's been with the eastern prairie fire protection district in Champaign for fifty two years. A department his father helped form. "I can't imagine my dad done this." "We was radio guys. We slept floors and ran the radios when they had fires." And that first job at fourteen years old led him to want to fight fires. "You could say it's been interesting I've been around it my whole life so it's part of my life."
WCIA & WCFN-TV CBS 3 Champaign

Springfield: 50% of on duty firefighter related deaths are cardiovascular


Nearly 50 percent of on duty firefighter deaths are heart related, according to the U.S. Fire Administration. Cardiac deaths are the leading cause of death for on-duty firefighters. The reason, it's a high stress job. “We go from a resting heart rate to a very high heart rate when that alarm goes on," explained Fire Marshal Chris Richmond, for the City of Springfield. The other day, a Springfield firefighter was sleeping in the bunkers, the alarm went off, he ran to the call. His heart rate jumped from 63 to 141 and it doesn't go down in the blink of an eye. According to heart experts, whenever a heart rate makes a jump of that extent, it can cause problems.
WICS-TV Springfield ABC Channel 20

Residents escape fire at Bloomington apartment building


Residents of a six-unit apartment complex at 1410 Croxton Avenue escaped injury in a Friday morning fire that remains under investigation. Bloomington firefighters responded to the blaze shortly after 5 a.m. It was centered in a first-floor unit, but left all the other apartments with smoke damage and another with fire damage, said Bloomington Fire Department spokesman Stuart Blade. The fire was brought under control by 5:44 a.m. The fire was called in by a resident who reported flames in the building, said BFD.
Bloomington-Normal Pantagraph

8 safely escape Plainfield townhome fire that left building uninhabitable


Eight people safely escaped a burning townhome early Saturday morning in Plainfield – thanks to working smoke detectors, fire officials said. “The way that fire was and how it progressed, without the notification we would’ve had a different outcome,” Plainfield Deputy Fire Chief Jon Stratton said. Plainfield firefighters responded to a 911 call for a house fire just after 3 a.m. Saturday in the 16700 block of Hazelwood Drive, a news release from the Plainfield Fire Protection District stated. By the time the fire was extinguished, about 4:11 a.m., it had caused considerable damage to the end unit townhome. The neighboring home also sustained smoke damage. The unit that had the fire is uninhabitable, and the fire’s cause is under investigation.
Herald-News

Fire destroys Byron’s iconic Cave Bar & Grill


Firefighters from more than 15 districts battled a three-alarm fire at the Cave Bar & Grill in downtown Byron on Thursday. The building, owned by Matt Pendergrass, was deemed a total loss and buildings on either side sustained smoke damage. The Cave Bar & Grill has been an iconic establishment in Byron for several decades. Firefighters were called to the blaze around 10:40 a.m. Thursday.
Rockford Register Star

Detached garage fire results in damages to home in Rockford


A detached garage fire damages a home around 2:40 a.m. Friday at 1124 Blue Lake Avenue in Rockford. Blackhawk Fire Chief Shane Schiro says the house was exposed to the garage fire and resulted in damages to the siding of the home. There was at least one vehicle inside of the garage that was also damaged by the fire. The cause of the fire is under investigation. No one was injured during the fire.
WIFR-TV CBS 23 Rockford







FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe