Emergency crews were called to a Glenside Avenue home Tuesday night after a chemical scare was reported inside the residence.
Tests carried out by the Billerica Fire Department's Hazmat Team determined that no harmful materials were inside the home, according to Fire Capt. Dan LeClerc.
Crews went to the scene around 7 p.m. after two residents inside the home at 22 Glenside Ave. -- a man and a female child -- complained of respiratory distress, according to police-radio broadcasts.
"They believed they had inhaled some sort of chemical substance," LeClerc said from the scene. "When we get an unknown situation like that we have to take great caution."
Billerica firefighters and police cordoned off the area, placing yellow caution tape across the road, blocking access to the home.
The residents who complained of the illness were removed from the structure.