Fire officials in Livonia have closed the case on last week’s ERG Services fire, ruling it an accident. Fire Chief Shadd Whitehead said officials determined the fire started in the warehouse where employees were loading up materials to be shipped out onto a truck. The business is a recycling center for environmental waste, such as propane tanks, aerosol cans, and petroleum-based paints.
“The origin was the upload process of solvents and oil-based paints,” he said. “The origin was the area where that transfer was taking place.”
The fire, which broke out at about 7:30 a.m. Jan. 15 at the business at 13040 Merriman, rendered the business’s 15,000-square-foot warehouse a total loss. It closed a mile stretch of Merriman for about eight hours and caused public safety officials to initiate air quality checks in the surrounding neighborhoods, all of which came back with no problems.