Barrel explodes, starts fire at business near Marne

  • Source: WOOD-TV NBC 8 Grand Rapids
  • Published: 03/17/2017 05:43 AM

Fire officials say an explosion inside a barrel caused a fire at a business near Marne Friday morning. Multiple fire departments responded to the fire at DeWitt Barrels, located in the 1100 block of Comstock Street near I-96 in Wright Township. Fire officials say one of the employees was working on a barrel when there was a spark and it exploded around 6:30 a.m. When firefighters arrived on scene there was heavy smoke coming from the building, so additional fire departments were called in. The fire was contained to one part of the building and there was no major damage to the building. Fire officials said an employee suffered minor injuries, but the owner of DeWitt Barrels said no one was hurt in the incident.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe