Electrical issue with cart sparks fire at Battle Creek Meijer

  • Source: WOOD-TV NBC 8 Grand Rapids
  • Published: 03/20/2017 03:45 AM

Fire officials say an electrical failure on an electric cart caused a small fire at a Meijer in Battle Creek early Monday. The fire was reported around 2:30 a.m. at the Meijer on W. Columbia Avenue. The store’s alarm system went off and people were being evacuated when the fire was contained to the electric cart in the entryway. Battle Creek Battalion Fire Chief Matt Beauchamp says the sprinkler system was activated and extinguished the fire. Fire crews ventilated the area and shut off the sprinklers. No one was injured. A representative with the Calhoun County Health Department said the store could be reopened, according to a release from the Battle Creek Fire Department.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe