North Carolina News
change state

Friday, February 27, 2015
Vote to merge fire departments leaves some Weddington residents unhappy    view comments tweat me share on facebook
Residents in Weddington are fearing for their safety after town council members voted to dissolve their volunteer fire department. The decision comes after an external audit suggested a merger with neighboring Wesley Chapel's VFD would offer the town financial relief. But resident Charlotte Woodley worries she's losing her sense of security. She credits Weddington's Providence Volunteer Fire Department with her life after a recent heart attack. “They have saved my life twice in 2014. They are excellent, they are trained and they are ready to respond,” Woodley said. Providence VFD is ranked in the top nine percent of all North Carolina Volunteer Fire Departments, a rating Wesley Chapel's VFD does not share. Woodley now worries this merger will decrease response time and quality of care. “I feel that it's not just my life that's in danger, but everyone in this community,” Woodley said. But it's not just people's lives at stake, Thursday's vote will likely hit residents' wallets, too. The Providence Fire Department currently has an insurance rating of four, which helps keep premiums low. A newly-merged fire department would be rated more than double that, which means rates could go up. “We would gladly pay the one and two percent tax increase then have to pay the exorbitant rate increase for fire insurance,” Woodley said. But Mayor Bill Deter says this debate comes from multiple misunderstandings. He says his vote Thursday was in the town's best interest, saving Weddington hundreds of thousands of dollars each year.
WBTV-TV Channel 3

Fire alarm rally in Carolina Beach focuses on prevention    view comments tweat me share on facebook
The American Red Cross is working with the Carolina Beach Fire Department to install up to 200 fire alarms in homes in the surrounding area Saturday. It's part of a nationwide initiative to cut the number of fire deaths by 25 percent in the next few years. "Ultimately it's about saving lives, it's about giving people an advanced warning, and allowing them time to get out of their house," James Jarvis with the American Red Cross said. The mission is all about prevention and officials say smoke alarms are an invaluable tool in saving lives. "Fire is an unforgiving fact... they usually happen in the middle of the night when people are asleep," Fire Chief Alan Griffin said. "Smoke detectors when they are properly installed and properly maintained, they work and they save lives and that's a proven fact." Volunteers will travel to homes in Carolina Beach installing and replacing fire alarms that are more than 10 years old. This project is a grant funded initiative though, so if you need an alarm, officials say you can contact your local fire department who has fire alarms on hand and they will install them for you.
WSFX-TV Fox Wilmington

New Bern Firemen’s Museum seeks help in matching $10,000 grant    view comments tweat me share on facebook
Work is coming along to move the New Bern Firemen’s Museum from 408 Hancock St. to the old fire station next door at 420 Broad St., but a little more funding is needed to get through the final restoration stage. An additional $10,000 to be exact — an amount needed to receive a matching grant, according to Bobby Aster, recently retired New Bern fire chief and a current board member with the Friends of the New Bern Firemen’s Museum. The grant is from the Marion Stedman Covington Foundation of Greensboro. The Covington Foundation, originally set up in 1986, provides matching grants for historic preservation projects. “We’re just sending out a plea to the people of New Bern to help us raise this $10,000 so we can get this grant,” Aster said. “It’s crucial… to help us meet our target of moving into the old fire station.” He said he hopes the money will be raised in the next three weeks.
New Bern Sun Journal

House fire displaces man in Midway    view comments tweat me share on facebook
One person has been displaced after a Friday morning house fire on Dixie Club Road. The Davidson County Fire Marshal's Office was on the scene investigating the fire that was reported at 761 Dixie Club Road at 7:58 a.m. Chief Mike Craft of the Midway Fire Department said firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the eaves at the front of the residence. Craft said firefighters arrived, opened the front door and quickly extinguished the fire. The chief explained the fire was contained to the front living room and a hallway area. The cause of the fire was unknown Friday morning as the investigation was under way. Davidson County Fire Marshal Danny Ward and Davidson County Deputy Fire Marshal Glenn Pressley were on the scene. The unidentified man was inside of the residence at the time of the fire, but he was able to escape without injury. It was unclear what alerted him to the fire. "He's going to be out of the home for a while because we pulled the power meter on it," Craft said. Craft was unsure of the amount of damages. He also was unsure if the home was insured. The Griffith and Gumtree fire departments assisted Midway firefighters on the scene.
Lexington Dispatch


Thursday, February 26, 2015
Authorities investigate fire death in Lewisville   view comments tweat me share on facebook
Authorities are a investigating a death after a house fire on Ridings Road Thursday morning. Lewisville Fire Chief Scott Alderman said his department was dispatched to a fire at 995 Ridings Road about 8:04 this morning. When firefighters arrived they didn’t see any smoke or fire visible, but determined that a fire had taken place in the single-family dwelling but it was no longer burning. On investigation, firefighters found a person and a dog dead inside the house. The identity of the dead person has not been confirmed, but county property records indicate the house is owned by Jackie Ridings, who is listed in the records as residing at the house. Alderman said firefighters found fire damage inside the house, but did not say where in the house the dead person was found. The Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office sent investigators to the scene, which is typical when a body is found and doesn’t necessarily mean that there is any suspicion of foul play.
Winston Salem Journal

Wilmington Fire Department, New Hanover County rolling out new initiative to fight cancer   view comments tweat me share on facebook
The Wilmington Fire Department and New Hanover County Fire Rescue are ready to take new measures to prevent their employees from contracting cancer. Battalion Chief Chris Nelson with the Wilmington Fire Department said that new studies show firefighters are two to three times more likely to contract cancer than other members of the general public. Nelson said this is due to the various substances and chemicals that firefighters are exposed to on a frequent basis. He's been working on an initiative to prevent his employees from contracting the deadly disease. According to a list published by WXIX TV in Ohio, North Carolina is one of 16 states without a presumptive care law for cancer. "Presumptive care laws basically state that you can be exposed to a chemical or some type of contracted disease after you leave that job and be covered by worker's compensation," said Nelson. That care isn't available in the state, but Nelson has a new plan - an 11 step method to help firefighters quickly get rid of harmful chemicals they're exposed to in the field. "When you're on the scene of the fire you can do some things to clean yourself up from washing off your gear to cleaning your skin or even your face and your neck before you come back to the station," Nelson explained. He said the firefighters will also carry new decontamination kits that contain wet wipes, a scrub brush and trash bags. "When I started in the fire services it was kind of a badge of honor for the guy with the nastiest gear or the most burned up looking helmet," said Nelson.
WBTV-TV Channel 3

13 people displaced in two separate house fires in Charlotte   view comments tweat me share on facebook
Thirteen people in Charlotte were forced to find a new place to sleep overnight after a two separate fires broke out in homes in Charlotte. The first fire happened at a home along the 3000-block of Fairglen Road around 12:11 a.m. This is off W. Sugar Creek Road in the Derita-area. In this case, seven people, including three children, were forced from the home. No one was reportedly hurt in the fire. WBTV crews on the scene say a dryer was brought outside and it was smoking. Fire officials have not released a cause of the fire. In a separate incident, firefighters were called to a home along the 1700-block of Dunnington Court for a kitchen fire. Six people were at the home when the fire broke out. No injuries were reported. Fire crews told WBTV the family was working with the American Red Cross to find a hotel, but they were having issues with most hotels being occupied due to the CIAA tournament in uptown Charlotte.
WBTV-TV Channel 3







FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom
state Daily Dispatch emails for free


click to subscribe  
lite version          need more info?