Neighbors came to the aid of a man whose body was on fire, and tried to save his life.
The fire that consumed him also burned the man's nephew, who lives with him. The nephew is now recovering in a burn unit, in critical condition. It's a story of heroism and selflessness, but is also a tragedy.
"It was really gruesome," said Bobby Li, a neighbor who lives in an apartment right above Ramon Rahim, 56, the man, known by his neighbors as Junior, whose clothes and skin combusted around 10:20 a.m. Tuesday morning.
"I went outside" of their building at 111-29 66th Avenue, Li said. "The guy was just on fire on the ground, so I took off my shirt, tried to put him out, and called 911."
As he worked to try and save his neighbor's life, Li saw a teenager rush toward them.