Two firefighters and a member of the public have been injured in an apartment fire that broke out in a Manhattan apartment building Sunday.
One of the firefighters is suffering from serious but non-life threatening injuries due to smoke inhalation while the other has minor injuries, the FDNY said. The civilian was taken to Harlem Hospital in a serious condition due to burns.
The FDNY responded to the fire at 549 West 163rd St. just after 12 p.m.
The blaze broke out on the second floor of a a six story apartment.
A witness at the scene said they saw a person who couldn’t get out of the apartment, so ran to the roof and jumped to another building.
Firefighters had the situation under control by 1 p.m. Fire officials said the cause of the fire was accidental. They say a candle was left lit and the person inside fled the apartment and wind enhanced the flames.