Oregon News
CHANGE STATE

Monday, December 11, 2017

Woman dies after house fire in NE Salem


A woman died Sunday after she was found unconscious inside of a burning home in Salem. Firefighters were called out just after 6:30 a.m. Sunday on reports of a burning house on Williams Avenue NE. Lori Morse lives just a few yards behind the woman home. She said she got up to walk her dog and smelled what seemed like burning plastic. Then, when she noticed smoke coming out of the windows, and sparks coming out of the gas meter, she immediately called for help. "The house could've exploded, she's got oxygen in here, so I was scared," said Morse. "I went around to the side door and opened it because it was open and this billowing black smoke came out so I got scared and I told the guy on 9-1-1 that I probably shouldn't have done that."
KATU-TV ABC 2 Portland

Washington County Deputies investigate fourth house fire in Bethany neighborhood


Another house was badly damaged by a fire in the Bethany neighborhood in Washington County early Monday morning. Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue responded to a report of a two-alarm fire near Northwest 169th Avenue and Northwest Catalpa Street just after 12:30 a.m. Three other homes in that immediate area have been set on fire since August. Investigators determined two of those fires were started from arson. Fire officials are still looking into the cause of the fire that started Monday morning. “We do have a fire investigator here and the Washington County Sheriff’s Office. We’ve been working in partnership for many months on this fire investigation and we’ll continue to try to determine where and how this fire started and whether or not someone set it intentionally,” said Karen Eubanks from Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue.
KATU-TV ABC 2 Portland

Sunriver firefighters rescue deer trapped on ice


VIDEO: Firefighters in Sunriver jumped into action Friday to help a deer stuck on some ice, according to a video posted on the L4262 Sunriver Professional Firefighters' Facebook page. The deer, trapped in the middle of a frozen golf course pond, kept falling when it tried to get up. So firefighters used equipment purchased with a grant from Firehouse Subs to help push the little guy to firmer ground, according to the Sunriver Fire & Rescue Facebook page. The grant, which firefighters were awarded in the spring, allowed the department to purchase immersion suits and an ice sled. "Rescue has no limits!" the Facebook page noted. As for the deer?
Portland Oregonian, Hillsboro Argus, Oregon Live.com

Family loses everything in NE Portland fire, 16-year-old described as hero


A Northeast Portland family is living with the clothes on their backs after a fire forced them from their home Saturday afternoon, but they're calling a teenager a hero thanks to his quick, calm actions. The fire broke out Saturday afternoon in the basement of the Davis home in the 100 block of NE Lombard. The family of six will spend at least the next week in a Troutdale hotel room. "Yesterday [we] woke up at home, everybody had their own bed and rooms, today we're in this small room together," said Derrall Davis, the father. Davis and his wife were not home when the fire started, but their four sons were. Da'Marcasay, 16, was the oldest one at home. "I'm still confused about how. We didn't smell smoke, because when we got to the stairs, there was just a whole bunch of flames," said Da'Marcasay.
KATU-TV ABC 2 Portland

Roof, ceiling fire damages home in Tollgate subdivision in Sisters


A fire early Sunday morning in the roof and ceiling by a woodstove chimney caused about $20,000 damage to a home in the Tollgate subdivision northwest of Sisters, but the two occupants escaped uninjured, officials said. Sisters-Camp Sherman Fire District crews were dispatched around 3:30 a.m. to a 911 report of a chimney fire at a two-story home in the 69000 block of Lariat, said fire Captain Jeremy Ast. One of the two renters had smelled smoke, looked up and noticed a glow, alerting the other occupant to the fire, Ast said. The home's working smoke alarms had not gone off yet, as the fire apparently began on the exterior and had not created enough smoke for the alarms to sound for another five minutes or so.
KTVZ-TV NewsChannel 21

Emergency crews respond to rollover crash in Grants Pass


Rural Metro Fire, American Medical Response, and Grants Pass Department of Public Safety responded to a single vehicle rollover crash on Lower River Road near Ferry Road in Merlin Friday afternoon. An investigation shows that the vehicle may have left the roadway while traveling at a high rate of speed, striking several trees, and severely damaging the car. Firefighters found both the driver and passenger trapped inside the vehicle with their legs pinned down by the dash. It took firefighters over 90 minutes to remove the dash by using "The Jaws of Life."
KTVL-TV Channel 10


Friday, December 8, 2017

State Fire Marshal: Oregon deploys 269 personnel to battle wildfires in California


The Oregon State Fire Marshal’s Office deployed 15 strike teams with equipment and personnel to help battle the growing wildfires in Southern California. According to the state fire marshal, seven Oregon strike teams are assigned to the Thomas fire burning near Ventura, Calif. and eight strike teams are assigned to the Creek Fire burning near Sylmar, Calif. In total, Oregon has deployed 269 people and 75 pieces of equipment to assist with the California fires. “Today's forecasted weather will be a test to all firefighters and residents with winds expected at up to 60 mph," said Chief Deputy State Fire Marshal Mariana Ruiz-Temple.
KTVL-TV Channel 10

Eugene Springfield Fire Graduates Largest Recruit Academy in Department History


Eugene Springfield Fire is currently facilitating the department's largest ever recruit Firefighter/Paramedic Academy. A total of 15 Firefighter/Paramedic trainees will successfully complete the program on December 8. Typical academies have included 10 to 12 trainees at most. Recruits have learned the fundamentals of firefighting and paramedicine over the last 14 weeks. They have participated in live fire burns, simulated medical emergencies, driving simulators, classroom, and practical application of fire theory and modern firefighting techniques. In addition to the certifications they will have earned, they will also have received orientation and been checked off on all Advanced Life Support (ALS) medical protocols and procedures they need to be part of an ambulance crew.
Eugene, OR

Smoky blaze damages home north of Madras


A fire that caused nearly $50,000 damage to a home north of Madras Thursday afternoon was traced to a heat lamp for some baby chicks that got too close to a kiddie pool and caught the carpet, floor and sub-floor on fire, an official said. Some baby chicks were lost to the blaze, but several other animals, including several snakes, survived, said Fire Chief Brian Huff of Jefferson County Fire District No. 1. Huff said crews responded to the reported possible house fire in the 1000 block of Northwest Elm Lane, five miles north of Madras. Huff said smoke was coming from most of the crawlspace vents on the west end of the single-story home when he arrived. Circling the home, "you could see that the entire home was full of smoke," Huff said.
KTVZ-TV NewsChannel 21

Update: "Improperly discarded smoking materials" cause of apartment fire near Portland State University


Fire broke out Thursday morning at the Park Plaza Apartments, in the 1900 block of Southwest Park Avenue. Portland Fire & Rescue said the cause of the fire on the top floor of the 11-story building was "improperly discarded smoking materials." One person was taken to the hospital with burns to his hands and arms. Toma Matisoff, the roommate of the injured man, told KGW that he was laying in his room mid-morning when when he heard a smoke detector. He initially ignored the alarm until his roommate banged on the door and asked for help. Matisoff then realized that smoke in the apartment was thick. He called 911. His roommate, meanwhile, tried to put out the fire in his own room to no avail.
KGW-TV Northwest News Channel 8

Lebanon firefighters respond to blazes


The Lebanon Fire District responded to three unrelated fires in 22 hours this week. None of the fires caused injuries or serious damage, and none were related to space heaters, a common suspect when the first cold snaps hits. But firefighter are still reminding residents to observe basic safety measures, especially as nighttime lows are expected to remain in the 20s through Monday. Battalion Chief Ken Savage said the district responded to two fires within a few hours of each other Thursday. The first was reported about 1:30 a.m. at a home at 495 Angelee Court, where a fire had started in the wooden enclosure around the chimney.
Albany Democrat-Herald







FREE QUICK SUBSCRIBE
Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe