Rural Metro Fire responded to a reported vehicle fire in a remote location, 5 miles up Quartz Creek Road, off Hugo Road, Tuesday evening.
Firefighters found the vehicle had rolled over an embankment and was on fire.
The driver escaped uninjured, and told firefighters he believed the fire was caused by a mechanical malfunction in the engine compartment.
According to Rural Metro Fire the parking brake was set while the vehicle was parked on the road.
The fire burned through the braking system, causing the vehicle to roll away prior to fire crew arrival.