Albany newcomer Conor VanHorn, 23, and his dog were not injured early Monday morning in a fire that destroyed a home at 116 Curtis St. NE.
VanHorn, 23, said he awoke to the sound of shattering glass, went outside to see what was happening and then went back into the house to get some clothes and rescue Haden, his 2-year-old boxer.
Within minutes the 692-square-foot single-story home, owned by the William and Faye Barna trust of Salem, was engulfed with smoke and flames. William Barna was working with fire investigators mid-morning.
Eighteen members of the Albany Fire Department answered the early morning call, along with seven vehicles, according to spokeswoman Sandy Roberts.