An early morning fire that heavily damaged two twin homes on Upland Avenue Tuesday has left 13 people homeless.
There were no injuries reported, but all of the residents, including three children ages 5, 3 and 3-months, along with 18 cats now must find a new place to live.
“There was something burning in the bedroom,” said Joe Evans, who lived at 822 Upland Avenue. “The smoke was so bad you couldn’t stay there. Evans said it was around 4:15 a.m. that his daughter came downstairs, choking from smoke, and ordered everyone out of the house. The seven people living next door at 824 Upland Street, five adults and three small children, also fled with the clothes on their back. Upland Police Officer John Bogan, who was dispatched for a building fire, arrived at 4:18 a.m. and saw a small fire with light smoke in a second-floor bedroom. Bogan entered the home, evacuated the family then checked to make sure no one else was inside, according to police reports. Brookhaven police arrived and helped to evacuate nearby buildings.