Firefighters extinguished a blaze in the basement of a two-story home on Bristol Ferry Road on Wednesday about 10 p.m. There were no injuries, according to Fire Chief Paul Ford.
“It was a relatively small basement fire,” Ford told The Daily News on Thursday morning. “We got there quickly, put it out. We’re still looking into it, looking for a cause of ignition.”
He said he believed the fire was in the 300 block of Bristol Ferry Road. Heavy smoke and flames came out of the basement window, Ford said. The trusses underneath the first floor were charred.
“It wasn’t a huge issue,” he added. “Another five minutes, it would have been.”
The town’s fire marshal and building and wiring inspectors will survey the damage today and calculate a cost estimate for the damage.