A 15-year-old boy who died Thursday night while swimming in the Columbia River may have been shocked by electricity after climbing onto a fence near a pump house in Pasco.
The boy’s friends called for help about 8:30 p.m. after he didn’t resurface. By the time Pasco firefighters reached him using a rescue boat, he’d been underwater 20-plus minutes.
The boy was rushed to Kadlec Regional Medical Center in Richland, where he was later pronounced dead.
Two Pasco firefighters were shocked trying to get to the boy. One of the firefighters was in the water heading toward the boy and the other was on the shore near the pump house. Neither was hurt.