A kitchen fire early Sunday afternoon displaced eight people and caused $17,500 in damage, according to the Yakima Fire Department.
The fire in the 600 block of South 12th Street began around 1:30 p.m., according to a news release. Firefighters discovered a possible fire in the ceiling above the stove and used a portable extinguisher to put it out. They then got into the attic and checked to ensure the fire had not spread.
Electrical power to the house was shut off because of possible damage to wiring in the attic and a concern for short circuits. The Red Cross was contacted to help the eight residents, who were home at the time of the fire, get temporary housing. No one was injured.
Though the cause is still undetermined, the fire appears accidental, the news release said.