Child may have accidentally caused fire at historic Tacoma church

  • Source: Tacoma News Tribune - Metered Site
  • Published: 01/20/2018 01:47 AM

A fire at Tacoma’s historic Saint Patrick Catholic Church may have been accidentally started by a child, according to the Fire Department. No one was injured in Sunday’s blaze, which took place shortly after Mass and caused at least $5,500 in damages. The fire was contained to a nursery room in the basement. Firefighters were called to the church at 1001 N. J St. shortly before noon and found heavy flames in the basement. They were able to quickly extinguish the fire. The nursery will be gutted and redone, according to the church. The work is expected to take up to a month.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe