Olympia house fire sparked by heater for pet tarantulas

  • Source: KOMO-TV ABC 4 and Radio 1000
  • Published: 03/02/2018 07:39 AM

An overnight blaze at an Olympia home was sparked by a heater for the residents' pet tarantulas, investigators said. Firefighters responded to the home, in the 1300 block of Cherry Street SE, at around 12:30 a.m. Friday after receiving reports of flames and smoke on the second floor. Crews arrived quickly and were able to contain the blaze. Damage was estimated at around $10,000. Investigators at first thought the fire was started by an overheated curling iron, but later were able to confirm that it was ignited by a heater in a cage for two pet tarantulas. One tarantula died in the fire, but the second survived.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and DailyDispatch.com. (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe