Firefighters discovered an elderly woman and a dog dead Thursday morning inside a burning home in Spokane’s Perry District neighborhood.
Deputy Fire Chief Mark John said neighbors were knocking on the door of the 724 S. Ivory Street home, near the corner of Ivory and Eighth Avenue, as firefighters arrived around 7 a.m.
There were few flames, but heavy smoke was escaping from the top of the house.
The fire apparently started in the rear of the home and had burned for quite some time before it was reported and firefighters arrived. John said it burned through the floor and into parts of the basement.
“It was more a smoldering fire,” he said. “Enough to burn a large portion of the floor.”
There were no working smoke detectors in the home.