A day after Tumwater’s mayor reiterated his concerns about the state of the former Olympia Brewing Co. buildings and the lack of building security, fire crews responded to a small blaze there Thursday afternoon.
Fire crews traced the source of the small fire to a makeshift wood stove that was being used to burn off the plastic coating of electrical parts and wires, according to the city.
Tumwater firefighters were called to 100 Custer Way SW about 1 p.m. after a report of black smoke. A second call confirming that information resulted in an upgrade from smoke investigation to commercial structure fire.
That triggered a mutual aid response that was eventually canceled after fire crews located the fire without difficulty and quickly extinguished it, according to the city.