Two people were injured and five were displaced after a fire on the southwest side of Madison early Saturday morning.
Firefighters responded to the Waterleaf Apartments on 6739 Schroeder Road following reports of a possible fire in one of the units, according to a release by the Madison Fire Department. Smoke was showing when firefighters first arrived. Firefighters entered the building and located a fire in the kitchen of one of the units. Firefighters extinguished the fire quickly, and additional firefighters assisted with ventilating the apartment. Two occupants were evaluated by paramedics and taken to the hospital for fire-related injuries. Five people were displaced from the unit and are receiving assistance from the American Red Cross.