The Roseville City Council made some tough cuts to its fire department on Wednesday night, cutting two shifts from each rotation.
In case of a car crash or house fire, four firefighters are currently dispatched per truck. The city wants to scale back to three. “It will reduce the efficiency of those truck companies by 50 percent,” did George Titus with the firefighter’s union.
He said currently the four firefighters work in pairs, that can’t happen with only three.
“The choice has to be made whether we go to the roof and ventilate or we go immediately inside and do a rescue operation. they can’t be done simultaneously,” he said.
The city is currently is losing around $2 million each year. By removing two positions per shift and it can save around $500,000 annually and it would be considered part of a pilot project.
KOVR-TV CBS Sacramento
A large industrial fire broke out at the Clovis Recycling Center. The plume of smoke could be seen miles away.
Crews continue to work for hours to put out every hot spot and fortunately, every employee inside the building got out safe.
Powerful flames caught on camera by Omar Ayad who works next door to the Clovis Recycling Center.
"I just feel the heat behind my back. I look around. Next thing I know, there's a wall of fire," said Ayad.
Within minutes, Clovis Fire responded just after 4 P.M. on Wednesday, hosing down large layers of cardboard. Chief John Binanski says each pile measured about 20 feet high and 15 feet wide, helping the flames grow.
"Even the slightest spark makes them flammable and in turn they start and spread fire very rapidly," said Binanski.
KGPE-TV CBS 47 Fresno
Several Los Angeles Fire Department employees can proceed with their lawsuit against the city, to prove that their ethnicity caused reported discrimination, harassment and retaliation, a judge ruled Wednesday.
Reginald Roberts, an attorney for the city, had argued that the case should be dismissed, because he said the plaintiffs had not provided enough details in their complaint to support their allegations.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Maureen Duffy-Lewis disagreed and ruled the entire case can move forward.
All of the plaintiffs are members of the LAFD’s Fire Prevention Bureau. Gary Carpenter, Andre Johnson, David Riles and Aaron Walker are black, and both Glenn Martinez and Patricia Ramirez are Latinos.
“The LAFD is essentially an all-white boys club, and anyone who fails to align themselves with this mentality is looked down upon and treated differently,” the lawsuit alleges.
According to their court papers, black and female firefighters in the bureau were branded by other department employees as “lazy and afraid” to fight fires.
Los Angeles Daily News - Metered Site
Long Beach Fire officials said Wednesday that a third juvenile had been arrested in connection to a series of fires in Naples and Belmont Shore, and added that all three teenagers were being charged in the fire last week that destroyed the interior of Dogz Bar and Grill in Belmont Shore.
Two 14-year-olds were arrested Saturday afternoon for a series of fires, including one at Naples Elementary School. LBFD spokesman Jake Heflin said Wednesday in a release that the Long Beach Fire Department Fire Investigations Team and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) Arson Unit Task Force had been cooperating in an investigation for weeks. The third teenager, also 14, lives in Naples and was arrested Tuesday.
All three teens were being held at the Los Padrinos Juvenile Hall. The identities were not released due to the suspects’ age.
Long Beach Press-Telegram
Fifteen residents of a West Los Angeles apartment were "formally decontaminated" by firefighters after possibly being exposed to asbestos, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department.
Officials responded to the apartment complex along the 1800 block of Prosser Avenue about 9:50 p.m. Wednesday.
While none of the residents of the apartment along Prosser Avenue showed signs of illness or injury, they were decontaminated. None of the residents were hospitalized.
Officials donned white hazmat suits to clear the 7,722 square-foot, two-story, 12-unit apartment building.
Residents said building management officials were doing renovations and had improperly removed a popcorn ceiling from an apartment and the whole building was exposed to the toxic dust. Property management officials have not returned requests for comments on the incident.
KTLA-TV WB 5 Los Angeles
Escondido firefighters rescued a woman with a walker who was trying to escape her burning mobile home, department officials said Thursday.
The blaze erupted around 8:40 a.m. Wednesday inside the mobile home at 1530 East El Norte Parkway, Escondido Battalion Chief Mike Bertrand said.
“The first arriving engine reported a light smoke coming from the mobile home and an elderly female attempting to evacuate with a walker,” Bertrand said. “The crew was able to safely evacuate the resident, who suffered minor injuries and was transported to Palomar Medical Center.”
Times of San Diego