Delaware News

Friday, March 23, 2018

Fire at Rehoboth Beach Outlet Store Causes $5,000 in Damages

The Delaware State Fire Marshal has concluded its investigation into an early Thursday morning fire at store in one of the Rehoboth Beach outlets. Fire crews with the Lewes, Rehoboth Beach, and Indian River volunteer fire companies responded to the fire around 4:19 this morning at the Polo Ralph Lauren store located on the 35000 block of Midway Outlet Drive. Investigators said the sprinkler system kept the flames at bay so firefighters were able to get the fire under control quickly. The cause of the fire was a malfunction of a fluorescent light fixture that ignited nearby combustible materials, according to investgigators. About $5,000 worth of damage was reported. There were no reported injuries.
WBOC-TV CBS 16 Salisbury

Thursday, March 22, 2018

Delaware Fire Marshal investigating Marshallton-area arson where vehicles were struck by ’incendiary devices’

Delaware State Fire Marshals announced they will continue to investigate what they've labeled an arson incident outside Marshallton in which two vehicles were damaged after being struck by incendiary devices. According to officials, Delaware State Police were dispatched to a parking lot at 3600 Kirkwood Highway around 11 p.m. on March 20, 2018. There, they found two vehicles into which suspects had thrown incendiary devices. An investigation is ongoing.
WDEL 1150AM &

Middletown Amazon warehouse fire quickly doused by sprinkler system

An accidental fire, which occurred inside the Amazon Fulfillment Center warehouse in Middletown Tuesday night, was effectively extinguished by a working sprinkler system. Delaware State Assistant Fire Marshal Michael Chionchio confirmed the incident at the facility--located at 560 Merrimac Avenue, near Westtown--happened at approximately 9:27 p.m., on March 20, 2018. According to officials, static electricity ignited leaking vapor from a container of assorted aerosol cans, which had been on a mezzanine level conveyor belt, in the processing area at the facility. Although fire crews from Volunteer Hose Company No. 27 made response, the assistant Fire Marshal stated the facility's fully automatic sprinkler system actually doused the flames and prevented it from spreading.
WDEL 1150AM &

Fire damages home in Wilmington’s Browntown section

Wilmington firefighters battled both fire and ice but made quick work of a bedroom blaze in the city's Browntown section. The fire was reported in the 1100 block of Maryland Avenue just after 2 p.m. on Wednesday, March 21, 2018. Everyone was out of the house when firefighters arrived and the flames were under control in 30 minutes. The Red Cross is assisting those displaced by the fire, which is under investigation by the city's fire marshal's office.
WDEL 1150AM &

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe