City of Bethel
Location: Bethel, AK
Date Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2019
Department: Fire Department
Compensation: PS2 Step A, $51,096 ($24.57 per hour) + DOQ
Hours: Kelly Shift + on-call
Deadline: Open Continuous
Performs customary duties related to fire protection, emergency medical services, hazardous materials response, and emergency management. Serves as the principal hands-on labor in providing department emergency and non-emergency services to the community.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Responds to fire incidents and conducts tasks including fire suppression, ventilation, salvage, and forcible entry;
· Responds to emergency medical incidents and serves as a member of the medical team;
· Drives and operates fire engine (ladder truck), pumper, and ambulance;
· Responds to water/ice rescue emergencies and serves as a member of the rescue team;
· Serves as Incident Commander until relieved;
· Inspects and performs routine maintenance of all fire equipment and tools;
· Inspects, cleans, and maintains department facilities and equipment;
· Coordinates incident scene safety and security with other law enforcement entities;
· Participates in fire and life safety inspections in accordance with Alaska State Fire Code;
· Responds to hazardous material incidents and assists in the identification, mitigation, and containment of hazardous material spills;
· Drafts pre-fire plans for review by Department administration;
· Follows and enforces all City and Department policies and operating procedures and applicable federal and state laws.
· Performs administrative tasks in support of Department administration;
· Instructs fire prevention classes to youth and adults from prepared lesson plans;
· Participates in required training and maintains professional certifications as required by the Department.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Working knowledge of fire-fighting equipment, methods, and techniques;
· Working knowledge of fire behavior, fire chemistry, and suppression agents;
· Working knowledge of the Alaska State Fire Code (preferred) or Uniform Fire Code;
· Basic knowledge of mechanical skills required to perform minor or preventive maintenance on Department vehicles;
· Demonstrable skills in using firefighting techniques, equipment and tools effectively;
· Demonstrable skills in using rescue techniques;
· Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions;
· Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing;
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and the general public;
· Ability to pass a physical agility test, self-contained breathing apparatus and N-95 mask fit test; and receive medical clearance by the department physician.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
· Alaska Firefighter certification (or the equivalent) preferred;
· Alaska EMT certification (or the equivalent) preferred;
· Valid Alaska Driver’s License.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and meet physical demands satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee will frequently perform duties wearing of a self-contained breathing apparatus and firefighting turnout gear weighing approximately 45 pounds; often perform prolonged and arduous work under adverse conditions; frequently climb ladders and stairs, balance, stoop, crouch, crawl, and reach; frequently required to pull and push items weighing more than 50 pounds; sometimes required to lift and carry items weighing more than 50 pounds; often use hand tools and small electrical tools; and frequently scheduled to work a 24-hour work shift. In addition, the employee will periodically be required to serve on an on-call status when off-duty.
Work is performed in a busy setting with frequent interruptions. The noise level varies from moderate to extreme. Employee may be required to work in dangerous and stressful conditions to include making decisions and directing personnel and operations. Employee will frequently be subjected to electrical hazards, fire hazards, confined spaces, high and exposed places and unsafe conditions. Performing the job functions may result in frequent exposure to wet conditions, smoke, fumes, hazardous chemicals and materials, intense heat, extreme cold (air and water), poor lighting, moving mechanical parts and hazards associated with working in and near traffic.
Desirable Training and Experience:
· High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent;
· Experience in structural fire fighting preferred;
· EMS/ALS Experience preferred.
City of Bethel employee benefits include:
· Group Health Insurance
· Group Life and Long-Term Disability Insurance
· Retirement Benefits (Public Employees Retirement System)
· Voluntary Deferred Compensation
· Utility Benefits
· Paid Time Off and Holidays
Additional Required Information
At time of application, applicant must attach the following items. (If unable to attach, please fax or e-mail the items to the contact listed below prior to the closing date of this recruitment).
NOTE: Omission of any required documentation listed below will result in an incomplete application and you will not receive further consideration.
1. Most current performance evaluation, if available or a letter from previous supervisor attesting to your abilities
2. List of three (3) professional references with current daytime phone numbers
3. Copies of the required certifications (EMT/Fire Fighter/drivers license)
NOTE: Attaching a resume is not an alternative to filling out the application in its entirety. Noting "see resume" or any similar response on any portion of your application may lead to a determination your application is incomplete and removal from consideration for this job posting.
1. Ensure you have read the announcement carefully.
2. Have you attached a most recent performance evaluation or letter from your previous supervisor attesting to your abilities
3. Have you provided a complete 3 year work history in the appropriate blocks in your application?
4) Have you listed 3 references (minimum)?
5) Have you attached copies of the required certifications
Submit completed and signed original City application form to: City of Bethel, Human Resources, ATTN: James Harris, 300 State Highway, P.O. Box 1388, Bethel, AK 99559, phone 907-543-1371.
Applications are available for download or hard-copy at City Hall.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
See Attached: Job Description