City of La Habra Heights
Location: La Habra Heights, CA
The Fire Captain position is a full-time, non-exempt position who will work under the general supervision of the Fire Chief and Assistant Fire Chief. The Fire Captain position has been approved for a one year limited term at this time. After one year, the City Council may approve regular appointments.
The selected candidate will organize, supervise and conduct the daily emergency and non-emergency functions of the Fire Department at the station level. The candidate will represent the Fire Department in interactions with City staff, outside organizations, and the public. The candidate will be assigned administrative duties in one of the three categories: Operations, Logistics, or Training.
The selected candidate will be enrolled in CalPERS (Classic 2.0% @ 55, PEPRA 2.0% @ 57). The benefit program also includes medical, dental, and vision, sick leave, and vacation hours.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
• During an assigned shift, supervises safety personnel engaged in fire suppression, prevention, investigation and the provision of emergency medical and other services provided by the Fire Department, or as directed by Fire Administration.
• Responds to fire and other emergency calls; makes necessary decisions in emergency situations regarding the deployment of firefighters and equipment, fire suppression activities, medical emergencies, hazardous material releases and rescue procedures.
• Manages and performs emergency scene operations involving life-saving and property protection work; conducts size-up, resource request and assignment, confinement, extinguishment, salvage, and overhaul.
• Provides training through in-station drills, classroom instruction, shift briefings, and on the job instruction.
• Maintains a safe and positive work environment for all personnel.
• Responsible for proper maintenance and care of all equipment, apparatus, fire station and grounds; directs and participates in periodic inspection of same to ensure that all assigned equipment, apparatus, facilities, and supplies are in a state of readiness; ensures completion of proper maintenance, documentation and repairs.
• May be deployed on Mutual Aid assignments for up to 14 days.
• Coordinates Fire Department activities with those of other local Fire Departments and outside organizations.
• Prepares and presents reports and other necessary correspondence in compliance with the National Fire Incident Reporting System (NFIRS).
• Continually promotes, through actions, words and writing the highest level of customer service standards.
• As assigned, performs the duties of Firefighter, Paramedic, Engineer, or Company Officer.
• Subject to mandatory recall to maintain staffing and community needs.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
High School diploma or equivalent; completion of 45 semester college units in fire science, or equivalent; four (4) years of broad experience in all phases of municipal fire suppression work is required. Prior experience in the management and command of fire operations is desirable. Combinations of Education/Training/Experience will be evaluated and considered in the application review.
• Valid California Class “C” Driver’s License with Firefighter Endorsement or higher.
• Certification as a CSFM Company Officer preferred.
• Completion of I-100, I-200, I-300, and I-400.
• Completion of CICCS/NWCG S-190, S-290, L-180.
• Qualified as CICCS/NWCG S-231 Engine Boss.
• American Heart Association BLS for HealthCare Providers
• Valid California EMT Certification
To apply, please complete and submit an application at: www.LHHCity.org.
For more information or questions, please contact Assistant Fire Chief Tim Peel @ email@example.com or (562) 694-8283 Ext. 332.
See Attached: Job Announcement