A probationary firefighter was seriously burned when he plunged through the collapsing floor of a burning Staten Island house Monday.
Firefighters managed to rescue the probie within moments, but he suffered second- and third-degree burns on 5% of his body, FDNY officials said.
The three-alarm blaze broke out at 8:46 p.m., at a two-story home on on Sinclair Ave. near Maguire Ave. in Huguenot. Four other smoke-eaters suffered minor injuries.
When firefighters arrived, strong flames had burned through 12 beams in a boiler room and work area in the basement, FDNY Chief of Department James Leonard said.
The probie walked into the living room, looking for any occupants still inside, when the floor gave way, Leonard said.
“The beams had burned through and he actually fell through the floor, into where the fire was,” Leonard said. “But fortunately we had other firefighters down there, pushed in with a hose line and rescued him from the fire.”
Members of FDNY Rescue 5 made the save, Leonard said.