A Vernon Township firefighter found himself in the middle of his own medical emergency during a call last weekend.
Captain Anthony Karhoff was paged out for a carbon monoxide call Friday night.
"We started to investigate the situation by looking at the CO and smoke detectors in the house and I started feeling kind of uncomfortable, sick to my stomach and nauseous," Karhoff said.
Karhoff knew something wasn't right so he stepped outside to take a breather and gather himself. His symptoms end up worsening, he has trouble sitting up, talking and breathing.
"All I could think about was my loved ones, everyone at home, the guys and stuff, but at the same time, being a firefighter, we have pride in ourselves and we don't want to ask for help," he said.
Karhoff ends up radioing a call to his chief.
"I don't remember exactly everything that happened. I know bits and pieces but the thing that really stuck out to me the most is his voice saying stay awake, stay awake, keep talking to me."