Fire chiefs renewed warnings Tuesday that students across the state face risks of carbon monoxide poisoning because of a gap in regulations that effectively allows many older school buildings not to install detectors.
Any new school constructed with state funds must include carbon monoxide monitoring technology, but that mandate does not apply to existing structures because students do not stay overnight. Several bills before the Joint Committee on Education would amend those rules and require every district to ensure detectors are present in every building, something public safety officials called a necessary step.
"No parent would expect their child to go to school without a fire alarm," said Douglas Fire Chief Kent Vinson. "That's an enemy we can see. We can see fire, we can see smoke. Carbon monoxide is odorless and tasteless. It'll take you before you even realize."