VIDEO: The Hamilton Fire Department has announced major safety improvements following an internal investigation into the line of duty death of one of their own.
Firefighter Patrick Wolterman died in December 2015 after responding to a fire believed to have trapped people inside a home.
Wolterman was the first firefighter to enter the home. He ran into the burning home that morning because firefighters thought people could be trapped.
Wolterman fell through the first floor and died of smoke inhalation.
Wolterman's legacy looms largely over the Hamilton Fire Department. Every member of the department who was on duty at the time of his death wears a uniform pin bearing badge No. 86.
The recently released line of duty death report will take that legacy further, raising concerns for those with whom Wolterman served.
Union representatives and fire officials say his death deserves the clarity of full disclosure.