An assistant fire chief has been severely burned while fighting a fire in Okanogan County that began over the weekend.
The Spring Coulee Fire was sparked Sunday afternoon south of the town of Okanogan, county emergency officials said. The fire spread quickly to the north.
During the fire fight, Assistant Chief Christian Johnson with Okanogan County Fire District No. 3 suffered severe burns and was flown by helicopter to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, where he is currently in a medically-induced coma.
County officials report Johnson has second and third degree burns over 50-60 percent of his body and has damage to his airway. "They are attempting to stabilize him so they can perform surgery for skin grafts," county fire officials wrote.