VIDEO: Two Papillion firefighters are still recovering after what is called a smoke explosion during a fire Saturday night.
A video of that blast is shown from a Sarpy County deputy’s cruiser cam.
A blast of fire and air that caught three Papillion firefighters off guard and too close. One of them is Joe Lapuzza silhouetted against the flames.
Joe LaPuzza said, “And I shut the water off so I could put my gloves on and advance up to the door and the next thing I knew I was thrown back and felt like I was on fire. I didn’t know what happened I just know it wasn’t good.”
The six-year Papillion firefighter suffered burns to the top of his hands that are healing with pig's skin.
Though the gloves were off this is the protective gear he wore and Chief Bill Bowes says that worked as designed.
Chief Bill Bowes said,” Just a little bit of singing here. It kept all the heat from him so he got not burns other than what was exposed.”