VIDEO: Geiger Grade and Veterans Parkway have reopened after a large apartment fire broke out at a vacant complex in south Reno. According to the Reno Fire Department, the massive blaze was reported by several people at about 3:15 a.m. on Thursday.
When crews arrived on the scene shortly after, there was heavy smoke and flames as a six-story building burned. The Sparks Fire Department and Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District were called in to assist the Reno Fire Department.
The fire took place at a vacant apartment complex — the Espirit Town Homes — located at Geiger Grade and Veterans Parkway. One nearby home suffered heat and smoke damages, but no injuries have been reported at this time. RFD reports that 14 of 21 apartment buildings were destroyed, with unit completion ranging from move-in ready to still under construction.