The Wisconsin Rapids Fire Department is celebrating 100 years of full-time service to the community.
The city of Wisconsin Rapids was developed as a consolidation of Grand Rapids, which sat on the east side of the Wisconsin River and Centralia, which was situated in the west side. The two municipalities combined in the spring of 1900 and bore the name of Grand Rapids, until the name was changed to Wisconsin Rapids to correct and freight/mail confusion with Grand Rapids, MI.
In 1910, the police and fire departments began operating under a five-member commissioner system. The present full-time, paid fire department was organized in October 1920, with A. C. Miller as the chief. By his side was a six-member fire department.