Firefighter injured after Missouri chemical plant fire forces hundreds to evacuate

  • Source: KMOV-TV CBS 4 St. Louis
  • Published: 04/30/2021 12:00 AM

VIDEO: A firefighter was injured and hundreds of people were evacuated after a massive fire at Manor Chemicals plant Thursday afternoon. The Affton plant, located in the 6900 block of Heege Road near Tower Tee, had a fire break out around 2:30, and it quickly grew until smoke could be seen for miles. Officials on the scene said the mushroom cloud was 400 feet in the air. Police said when crews first arrived they saw up to 10 different chemicals involved, a tanker truck and the structure itself. All employees were evacuated and none of them were injured. By the time firefighters had foam on the fire, the call moved up to a 4-alarm. Preliminary reports show the fire could've started from an electrical short or static electricity. "I heard a couple of booms, not earth-shattering but you felt them," Richard Garcia said.


We welcome comments from registered users. Comments are solely the responsibility of those who post them; their viewpoints are not endorsed by the Daily Dispatch and (read more)
ship name
no comments have been added

Sign up to subscribe to custom state Daily Dispatch emails for free

click to subscribe