The Seminole County Fire Department says golf carts and other low-emission vehicles are becoming more popular in Central Florida but they are also causing a fire concern.
"The big problem we are worried about with hydrogen gas is the explosiveness of the hydrogen gas it has a wide flammable range," said Lt. Todd Zellers of the agency's special hazards team. In the last three months the department has received three calls of carbon monoxide alarms going of but in reality, he says, the alarms were picking up hydrogen gas caused by overcharged batteries.
"We go there in time. We were able to isolate it to the golf cart in the garage on all three events and get the battery unplugged," said Zellers. Hydrogen gas isn't as toxic as carbon monoxide but could cause fire and explosions.