PHOTOS: A new mural depicting the history of the Clayton Fire Department is on display on the side of Station One in Clayton.
The mural was painted by Lacey Crime Art and can be seen driving along West Home Street.
The mural tells the story of from a volunteer firefighter group that started in 1883. At the time, the department had a volunteer staff of 40 members, a fire chief and an assistant chief. The brick building in the mural is known as “Old Town Hall.” It was built in 1927 to hold Clayton government offices, the magistrate office and the police and fire departments. The building previously had a jail.
The building currently stands on the corner of Second Street and Barbour Street and is next to the Clayton Police Department.