VIDEO: A smoking frame is all that's left of a house in Brookline after firefighters said it exploded Wednesday afternoon.
Crews from about 14 fire departments worked to put out the flames at 7 Gilson Road after the house was fully engulfed in flames after the explosion. Officials said a family of four lived in the home, but no one was inside when the explosion occurred.
David Lawrence has lived in the neighborhood for 18 years. He said he saw flames coming out the front and windows of the home.
"It's one of those things where it's shock," Lawrence said. "You don't expect to see a fire next door. Again, my main thing was, was anybody home? That was my main concern."
Lawrence said he was mostly worried about the well-being of his neighbors and friends.
"My main concern was for them, you know. Things can be replaced," Lawrence said.