VIDEOS: Wednesday marked the one-year anniversary of a devastating home explosion in O’Fallon, Missouri.
On March 1, 2022, a family was inside their home on Millers Court when they smelled gas. They managed to get out before an explosion across the street completely destroyed their home.
The explosion was the result of a Gateway Fiber contractor striking a Spire natural gas line while digging to install fiber optic cables in the O’Fallon subdivision. The contractor stopped immediately and contacted Spire Energy, who quickly arrived, evacuated the area and attempted to repair the line. During the repair, an explosion occurred. About 40 homes, some as far as a mile away, were damaged by the gas explosion, and smoke could be seen for miles afterward. While there were no injuries, many were left hurting financially.