VIDEO: The lifesaving equipment St. Lucie County Fire District firefighters started using about three years ago is making history and saving lives.
Crews responded to a call about a fall Tuesday in the area of A1A on Hutchinson Island shortly after 8:30 in the morning. While firefighters were on the scene, they were alerted to high levels of carbon monoxide by a detector attached to equipment carried on their belts.
Firefighter and paramedic Allen Civita said the residents were unaware they were exposed to carbon monoxide. “We don’t like hearing stories where a family is found, and it’s too late," Civita said. "But in this case, luckily, that’s not how it ended.”
People inside the home were evacuated, and crews started searching for the source. "When I got to the garage, I noticed that there was a car parked in the garage, and it was still on, the door was down," Civita said.