A fire severely damaged the old Bay View Inn Thursday afternoon. Dan Miotke is the acting assistant fire chief for the Homer Volunteer Fire Department. He says no one was hurt.
The department responded to the scene at 1:45 p.m. after a Kachemak Bay Emergency Services member saw smoke and reported the fire.
“When we got there, we had flames visible through two of the units… of the motel units,” he said. “We had flames and smoke coming out of the roof.”
More crews arrived from the Anchor Point Volunteer Fire Department and Kachemak Emergency Services to ensure the fire didn’t spread.
“Two of the units had considerable fire damage, and there was some smoke and heat damage to every unit in that complex,” he said.
The inn has been closed for years, and Miotke says the owners are currently out of the country.
“As far as we know, the building was unoccupied,” he said. “There was nobody on site. There has been issues with people staying there who are not supposed to be, and they've been removed in the past. [It’s unknown} if there's been anybody there recently."